[SEL] O.T. Test now question about touch paper

Ray Freeman - Portable Line Boring plb at iinet.net.au
Wed Aug 12 04:49:36 PDT 2009

The main flywheel on the right hand side had a coarse thread on the outside
edge.There was a steel wheel an inch or so in diameter that was connected to
a normal looking poppet valve down in the head via a wire cable. For crank
starting you sat the wheel in from the edge three threads.The idea was that
in 3 revolutions of the cranking handle you had enough momentum built up
that when the wheel dropped off the flywheel and closed the valve the engine
would get over the compression and fire.Now and again it would fire half
hearted and bounce off the next compression and start running backwards.For
cartridge starting the wheel was put in just one thread and there was a mark
on the flywheel to line up to ensure the piston was in the correct spot.
Ray Freeman