[SEL] O.T. Test now question about touch paper

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 01:00:06 PDT 2009

2009/8/10 Kangas, James G. <james.kangas at timken.com>:
> How is the paper used to start a Field Marshall engine? I'm not familiar at all with that >engine. I have read about some Diesel engines that had a port into which was stuffed an >oily rag that was then lit to help warm up the cylinder.
>Jim K.

A lot of the Ruston & Hornsby diesels use a similar thing, it's
blotting paper soaked in Saltpetre and left to dry. It provides the
heat required for the initial start-up, and is needed for those
engines like the Marshall which have a low-compression starting aid.

Our 1ZHR Ruston has a half-compression cam as well. We are replacing
the paper starters with a 12V glow plug, as you need one for every
start on our engine and there's no air start.

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes
Email: listerdiesel at gmail.com