[SEL] O.T. Test now question about touch paper

Bob W7AVK rolfb at accima.com
Mon Aug 10 15:48:23 PDT 2009

Jame - The FM was before my time.   But I've been told they were
designed for very much "on the cheap" immediately after WWII to get
something into the fields  when the UK was in very bad times and
resources were hard to come by.  Using such a starting technique was the
ultimate in simple as there was no electrical system.  Sorry, forgot to
tell you about the starting cartridge which is in effect a very slow
burning black powder which 12 gauge blank that creates a high pressure
"push" on the pre positioned piston [top ].  Idea is to get enough
energy into the over sized fly wheel that the next compression cycle is
pushed through and the engine starts.  Being a single cylinder its an
experience to ride the tractor for it really shakes.  :-)     The paper
was really a manual glow plug.    I've seen them started without using
the paper.

Regards,

Bob R
Moses Lake, WA USA