[SEL] "Working clothes" attn. Patrick Livingstone

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Tue Aug 4 13:25:10 PDT 2009

Hi All (and especially Patrick),
         With reference to your recent post about "working clothes" - does
this qualify?
<http://www.oldengine.org/members/evans/5_1b.JPG>

         Yeughh - Yellow flywheels !!!!

         I'm not too sure how to handle this ! These Listers were always
"Mid Brunswick Green" apart from the "War Years" (a paler/lighter shade of
green due to the shortages experienced during this time) and a few made for
special applications. (This one is 1953 so "War Years" does not count as an
excuse!!). Also NOT a special application.
         So where to from here ?:
         1) I think that this one was probably supplied in factory colours
to the end user and painted "by apprentices" over time to its current colour.
         2) The colour yellow was never a colour used as a "corporate
identification" by the end user (in this case our "South African Railways").
         3) Maybe it was a case of the Foreman looking for something to
keep the apprentices busy and he said "Here, take this can of paint and
paint those flywheels"

         So, in fact this engine is still in it's, "working clothes"
(albeit NOT original colours) as that was the colour it was painted while
it stood in it's working place.

         Now, I'm about to acquire this engine but what do I do? I
personally do not like the "Yellow" (and it is not original) but the colour
was "It's working clothes".   ????

         This could start an interesting discussion so, come on guys, let's
have your thoughts. I'm torn between making it look "original" (lots of
work) but would like to keep it "in it's working clothes" (an easy job as
the paint is still in very good condition) but DO NOT like those yellow
flywheels.

         As a point of interest, these (and other) Listers were all painted
by brush in the Lister factory, This was done after assembly - they were
NOT filled, masked and spray painted. This comes from David Edgington's
book "The Lister CS Story". That may help you guys decide on an answer.

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
<www.oldengine.org/members/evans/plates/index.htm>