[SEL] Please "hold thumbs" for me :-)/Update

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Tue Aug 4 11:55:37 PDT 2009

Hi All,
         The saga continues.
         Firstly, thanks for all the positive replies and discussion that
this post generated. I'm not going to reply to each reply (on and off list
and also on both SEL and Oldengine lists).
         "Hold Thumbs" and "Cross Fingers" - it seems that there was a bit
of confusion here. We "Hold Thumbs" to ask for good luck (fingers folded
over the thumb) but "cross fingers" if we are about to tell a lie (and hope
to get away with it). A few explanations here:
<http://kiwiflicka.blogspot.com/2008/03/hold-thumbs.html>
or
<http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_origin_of_the_idiom_%27to_hold_thumbs%27>
or here
<http://www.theanswerbank.co.uk/Phrases-and-Sayings/Question785086.html>
or here
<http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=1484642>

         So here is the update:
         Firstly, I was incorrect in stating that this (these) engines had
the solid (or electric) flywheels and have no idea why I imagined it/them
otherwise. In my defence I refer you to the following words in my original
post:
"I saw the engines from a distance but did not go closer for a very good
reason. My daughter, Jacqui, had her (uninsured) car stolen about 2 weeks
previous to that and, not being a person of unlimited financial means,
engines were just not in the budget - another car for Jacqui was top
priority. (But those engines stayed in the back of my mind :-))"

         Back to the story. The engines have "spoked" flywheels (I'm so
happy about this !!) they are much "prettier" (if engine men are allowed to
use that description) and also about 300 Kilograms lighter when it comes to
         At this time I have concluded a deal with the seller and was meant
to make the trip, to load the engine, today but of course, some govmunt
official screwed it all up and did not clear the tender documents on time.
(Quite normal here with our "govmunt") so now I can only go on Friday
(hopefully) ! (You Aussies should understand the term "munt" or "moentoe"
and it has nothing to do with "heap" or "mound"!) :-)(A clue can be found
here: <http://www.anps.org.au/documents/March_2005.pdf>
         Anyway, they deal is agreed upon but I'm not one to "count my
chickens before they hatch". As far as I'm concerned the deal will only be
done once the engine is loaded onto the back of my pickup (and I'm at least
10 miles away from the loading point). :-)
         So guys (and gals) please keep "holding thumbs" or "crossing
fingers" (whichever one works best for you) for me :-).
         I've also received a pic of the engine and put it here for those
who are interested:
<http://www.oldengine.org/members/evans/5_1b.JPG>

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans