[SEL] Lister GK2

Domeney Brothers dombros2 at clearmail.com.au
Sun Aug 2 04:17:50 PDT 2009

Hello all
The discussion on "List Maners" (Manners?) and "lurkers" prompts me to come out of lurking and join in.

I haven't had much to say since joining because most of the time the topics are either about engines of which I know nothing (that's a lot!) or semi personal and club talk - travelling, who's doing this at the weekend, did you see that there? etc.

However, my conscience is pricked by the comment that forums work well when more members join in, so here I am (again).

I have acquired a Lister GK2, but Patrick Knight in his book  A-Z of Brit Stationary Engines states that these were based on US LeRoy engines. Can anyone tell me anything of the LeRoy, please?

I imagine this Lister was built prior to WWII, as it has a reconditioners plate advising that it was rebuilt in January 1950.

The internal oil flow is interesting. No crankshaft oilways to the big ends, but channels cast around the wall at the base of the block, taking oil from the oil pump to two webs spanning the sump. (the oil pan?) These webs also have channels on the top surface, and dippers on each con rod bearing cap pick up oil from the channels.

It means that oil is kept supplied to the big ends even when the oil level in the sump is way way down. Or being a marine engine, when the engine is at extreme angles in a heavy sea. Very clever!

Anyway, in the interests of generating discussion I would like to know a bit more about LeRoy.

With thanks in advance,

Teddee.
PS Apologies to US readers- I don't know all the terms you use for engine parts.