[SEL] Penetrating Oils

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Thu Apr 30 08:53:40 PDT 2009

Rob Skinner wrote:
> Young-san, good to hear from you!  Yes, I mixed them together.
>
> Actually I was goofing around with a chain lubricant for my bicycle.
> I'll not get into the subtle nuances of bicycle chain lubrication,
> other than to say I'm not convinced that the traditional commercial
> products are of much value.  My mixture consisted of 1/3 gear oil,
> with which I had already been experimenting, 1/3 ATF, and 1/3
> acetone.  The concoction magically mixed up and as stayed that way
> ever since.
>
> My lube trials are still ongoing, but my initial impression is that
> it's "liquidy" enough to penetrate into tight places, it can cut
> through existing residue, and when it evaporates, it leaves behind the
> good stuff.
>

> Rob Skinner
> Antique Stationary Engines
> La Habra, California
>
> rob at rustyiron.com
> www.rustyiron.com

Rob,
 I have had great luck using standard paraffin with teflon powder
blended in. You pull the chain, clean it in a solvent to remove
dirt/grit/old lube. The heat the mix so it is THIN. Then soak the chain
in it for 10-20 minutes. Pull it out and let it drip dry.
Doesn't fling off and doesn't attract dirt.
Once you soak it you can re-lube it using the same mix. Just heat it up
and brush it on with an acid brush.

--
Steve Williams