[SEL] Penetrating Oils

Rob Skinner rob at rustyiron.com
Thu Apr 30 07:31:55 PDT 2009

Young-san, good to hear from you!  Yes, I mixed them together.

Actually I was goofing around with a chain lubricant for my bicycle.
I'll not get into the subtle nuances of bicycle chain lubrication,
other than to say I'm not convinced that the traditional commercial
products are of much value.  My mixture consisted of 1/3 gear oil,
with which I had already been experimenting, 1/3 ATF, and 1/3
acetone.  The concoction magically mixed up and as stayed that way
ever since.

My lube trials are still ongoing, but my initial impression is that
it's "liquidy" enough to penetrate into tight places, it can cut
through existing residue, and when it evaporates, it leaves behind the
good stuff.

Rob Skinner
Antique Stationary Engines
La Habra, California