[SEL] Engine Thieves Caught in New HAmpshire

Mark Shulaw frappi at wcoil.com
Tue Apr 28 19:07:09 PDT 2009

Ok heres the latest with what happened in more detail. I am still
withholding last names of the involved till charges are filed if
ever. This happened in Bethlehem New Hampshire over the weekend. Jim
the owner of the engines and his wife left for the recycling center
which is just two blocks from their house and returned a few minutes
later to find a pick up truck with ramps and a winch in the bed
backed up to his I think he said a 5 hp?? Waterloo engine which is
behind his garage. Keep in mind this is the only engine outside and
it is not visible from the road at any angle. Jim has lots of trees
around. The truck was backed up directly to the engine and the tail
gate was down, So they had just arrived. Jim and his wife came home
to see this and called the law. The two gentleman claimed to have
just been driving by and seen the engine and wanted to try to buy it.
(Remember the engine is not visible from the road)  The two men are
from Maine which is just 40 miles from Jim's place so  it may be
reasonable that they were just riving by but it can not be seen from
the road. Where the men are from in Maine I do not know.  Jim got the
engine two months ago and has not shown it yet.
Today the sheriff and the prosecutor are not sure they can bring
charges as the suspects had not dropped the ramps on the ground yet
or hooked the winch to the engine. Which would clearly show intent
the sheriff says. But without the ramps on the ground or the winch
hooked up they are not sure they can file charges that will stick.
Backed up to an item not visible from the road does not show enough intent.
  So charges may not be brought up. And if so we can not mention the
names of the two gentlemen. They can not even be brought up on
trespassing charges as there isn't any No Trespassing signs posted.
Still waiting to hear how the two men found out about the engine to
even know it was there. I will pass on more as I learn
it.                          Mark