[SEL] New epoxy product

Jim Hardman Jim at hardmanfamily.net
Tue Apr 28 12:48:47 PDT 2009

Jerry, and all,

Some epoxies will stand up to hot water, others will not.  For underwater or
occasional hot water applications, specialty formulations are required,
often called "splash zone" epoxies.  These are typically used on concrete
piers at the water line where wave action erodes and consumes the pilings.

Just because the fomulator says his product has "unlimited uses" doesn't
mean that it is good for all applications.  Before assuming that any epoxy
will do the job, get a statement of suggested applications from the maker.
Not the seller, (the middleman), but the formulator... the actual maker.
Note too that some epoxies can be applied to wet surfaces, others require
absolutely dry surfaces.

For most engine applications, epoxies are acceptable choices for
reconstruction where high temperatures are not expected.  Anything over the
boiling point of water can be trouble for a lot of epoxies.  And the
presence of water can compound the problem.

This is not a blanket condemnation of epoxies for repairing water jackets.
It is, however, a wake up call that all epoxies are NOT the same and that
specialty compounds are generally available for most applications.  Do your
homework and contact the maker for approval for your particular job.

As a side note, the ratio of resin to curing agent can have a profound
influence on ultimate performance.  Sloppy guessing or failure to properly
weigh components can really mess up cured properties.  And mix twice a s
long as you think you have to to truly get association between reacting
chemicals.

Clean up thoroughly with soap and hot water after exposure to resin and
curing agent.  After cure, the danger of exposure is greatly reduced... that
is, the exposure to chiplets and dust from sanding or filing.

Use common sense.

Jim in Vermont