[SEL] Petter AV2-M Restore, progress report No. 3

curt at rustyiron.com curt at rustyiron.com
Mon Apr 27 06:42:37 PDT 2009

Arnie,
I missed this point about aluminum pistons in his post and photos on the
'net. Looking at the photos again the pistons still look "rusty". Given
the damage to the cylinder wall they will certainly have to be bored to
clean them up. I'd view the aluminum pistons as a blessing. Sacrifice
them. Heat 'em with a torch and melt them out of the way, letting the
cylinders come free of the block. Replacement oversize pistons ought to be
easy to find for a Petter. If not, easy to cast some new ones.
Curt