[SEL] Stripped stud

MaytagTwin at aol.com MaytagTwin at aol.com
Mon Apr 20 15:41:23 PDT 2009

Hi Arnie,
Nice guess, but, no.  One was in the block of a  Ford V4 engine in a Saab
model 95.  It was a low stress problem, merely  holding the thermostat
housing in place.

Another repair was the drive axle of a Fiat 500 which  held for 10,000
miles at which point I sold the car.  I don't know if the  glue job ever failed.

The little Fiat had rear engine/transmission with  swing axles to with rear
wheel drive.  Those axles were exposed to the  Michigan salt which would
run down the axle and into the cast iron splines  in the  hubs.  When I bought
the car one of the hubs had stripped its  splines and the other was loose.
Both steel axles were badly worn.  I  bought two of the cast iron hubs from
the Fiat dealer and to avoid  replacing the axles which would require
dismantling the transmission I  elected to use Devcon Plastic Steel to fit the
worn axle splines into the new  hub splines.  After curing, I separated used a
gear puller to separate  them.  I cut two 8" sections of bicycle inner tube
and, with hose clamps  and moly chassis lube, lubed the splines and clamped
the grease filled inner  tube over the hub and axle.  It never gave any
more trouble.  So, a  tube of epoxy, one bicycle inner tube, two $5 cast iron
hubs, four hose clamps  and some grease and that problem was whipped.

That little car had some neat features.  50+ mph,  65 mph top speed, hollow
drive pulley that served as the only oil filter and the  oil stayed clean,
two carb jets, one for running and one for choke and if the  main running
should clog on some dirt, then I could pull the choke lever and  proceed with
it running nicely.  Oh, that main jet was accessable from the  outside
needing only an open ended spanner.  I bought it in Ann Arbor ($30)  and sold it
there two years later for $100.  I wish I still had it.

Ron
PS:  I asked the dealer to sell me a shop  manual.  He couldn't as he
didn't have any.  I wrote to Fiat in Italy  and they GAVE me the large shop
manual (in English) and wished me well with my  Fiat.
PPS:  I almost forgot, it had automatic  adjustment for the brake shoes.

In a message dated 4/20/2009 4:54:54 PM Central Daylight Time,