[SEL] Penetrating oil

Dave Croft dave.croft at ntlworld.com
Sun Apr 12 09:41:25 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tony & Jackie" <kimmell at verizon.net>
To: "The SEL email discussion list" <sel at lists.stationary-engine.com>
Sent: Sunday, April 12, 2009 3:19 PM
Subject: Re: [SEL] Penetrating oil

> At 08:33 AM 4/12/2009, you wrote:
>>I wouldn't use naptha as a charcoal starting fluid.  Too volatile
>>and burns too fast to really work well.  Also, using it that way,
>>you could make a flaming ash out of yourself.
>
> Hah, yeah this was years ago back in the late 80's.  As I remember,
> it did start the charcoal very well since it burns so hot.  Didn't
> leave a bad taste like the cheap lighter fluid, either!  Dad would
> stand about 6 feet away when he threw that kitchen match and
> WOOSH!  Maybe this is the reason I became such a pyro... :-)
> -Tony

Hi Tony, your tale takes me back 60 years ago when my mum & dad
brought me home from watching a movie.
The fire had gone out so dad went to the shed to get some Paraffin (Kerosene)
to put on the coals to re-light the fire.
He picked up a can of Petrol (Gasoline) by mistake which vaporised.
When he struck a match we had a fireball & we ended up with a dad with
no hair at the front or eyebrows & a cat that was bald on one side.

Dave Croft
Warrington
http://www.oldengine.org/members/croft/
http://community.webshots.com/user/crftdv