[SEL] OT recoating silver on mirrors

Tom Smith tsmith at hal-pc.org
Mon Sep 22 07:21:58 PDT 2008

Curt,

This is a relatively simple and painless process. Amateur astronomers
that build their own Newtonian reflectors know it well.

You should be able to Google this for information and if you come up
empty, I can look in some of my ATM books for the process. It's not
done as much any more because most people are aluminizing their
mirrors, which isn't quite as brite/reflective but lasts longer with
overcoating. The aluminizing process isn't a home shop process but is
comercially available.

The other option is local mirror/glass outfits do mirror refinishing.
This might be a more cost effective way for you because the materials
have to be purchased that will do a much larger area and your mirror
is probably small.

Tom