[SEL] Hercules 4 cylinder wiring - update

Luke Tonneberger flywheelin at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 17 07:09:48 PDT 2008

Last night I hooked up the battery positive to the starter button and grounded the battery to the engine block. I pushed the starter button and got a click. Pushed again and another click. The engine didn't turn over. I engaged the clutch and tried to turn the pulley over and couldn't.  Put a big pipe wrench on the pulley and it wouldn't budge. I then made up a hand crank to try and crank it over by hand and it still wouldn't move. Pulled the fuel tank off, unbolted the head to had a look. The third piston from the front looked awful, the cylinder wall looked like the top of an apple cobbler. The fourth had about 1/8" of water in it. When I bought the engine last fall I drained the coolant, which was probably a good thing. It appears the head wasn't tight enough and was leaking coolant into those two cylinders. The valves were closed on those two cylinders, another good thing. The intake valves were stuck on those two cylinders. I was able to scrape and tap the valves and got them loosened up. I took a very large socket that just fit into the cylinder, put a piece of cork gasket between the piston and socket, got a hammer and started to whack away. A few minutes of wacking got the pistons to move. I'm going to push this project aside until winter so I can tear it down, pull the pistons, give it a hone and see what I have.

I'll have to take more pictures of the generator, starter, and distributor in order to show better what I have. I don't know much about electrical stuff and all this A circuit, B circuit, resistor, cut out, burning points, oscillation business is way over my head.

Thanks for the help on and off list so far.  To be continued........

Luke Tonneberger
Rockford, Michigan
USA

P.S.   Jim I would like a copy of that diagram if possible, no hurry.
P.S.S.  Curt I'll probably call you this weekend.