[SEL] Engine Values

Gary Epps garyepps at fidnet.com
Sun Sep 14 21:37:21 PDT 2008

I went to the SteamORama and EDGE T A show  west of Springfield, MO
this weekend.  It is a nice little show, probably the best one in
southern MO.  While there I visited with a fellow who expressed
interest in buying some of my engines.  Normally I would have said I
wasn't interested in selling anything, but after the stroke in June
I'm beginning to realize that I am not going to get around to some of
the projects around here.  The trouble is, I no longer know what these
engines are worth as I haven't bought any in over ten years and
haven't seen much in the way of recent auction reports.

I need to price a Bluffton/Ideal with 12" flywheels on a metal cart.
I last ran it about 9 yrs. ago.  The paint is good, the cooling
box/shroud is missing and it has a rectangular gas tank.  The second
engine is a 6hp McCormick-Deering, missing part of the fuel pump.  It
either has very good original paint or has been repainted sometime in
the distant past.  I know this not much information to go on, but if
you can help me establish an appropriate dollar range for each of
these engines I will appreciate the help.  I want to offer a fair
price and I don't want to get badly taken either.

I also will sell some miscellaneous wheels and a  couple of carts, and
maybe a green Economy.  The fellow I bought it from thought it was
supposed to be Hercules green.  I looks good; it's just the wrong
color.

 I would really appreciate some ideas on the Bluffton/Ideal and the
McCormick-Deering if possible.

Oh, by the way I have decided to sell an unrestored 1949 John Deere AR as well.

Gary