[SEL] Finding a crankshaft

Elden DuRand edurand at mchsi.com
Sat Sep 13 12:07:55 PDT 2008

Gang:

Moving right along with the preliminaries for the small Hvid engine build, I am looking for a crankshaft with about a 4" stroke.  I don't want to build one like the one for "The Homebrew Engine" because I have my doubts it would hold up under the compression load of a 'sorta'-Diesel.

I've gone a-surfin' and have found several candidates that I could cut a throw out of and which would make a nice crankshaft.

The ones that kinda light my fire are for the 4-bangers of Chrysler/Dodge.  One of them is for an engine with 148 C.I. displacement (2429cc) which has a stroke of 3.975".  The other is for a 153 C.I. (2502cc) displacement with a stroke of 4.094".

Now, what I need to know is how to identify these in a pile of scrap engines.  What year and model of car (van?) did these go into?  I ass-u-me that these engines are relatively recent due to the published metric displacement figures.

My plan is to cut the crankshaft right at the #2 rod journal/cheek face then turn the cheek as an extension of the #2 main bearing journal for mounting a flywheel.  I can use the stock bearing inserts and maybe a piece of a connecting rod.  Now, I am ass-u-ming that these are 5 bearing engines.  That will give me a nice, strong crankshaft for the Hvid.

Is anybody up to date on these engines and what they came in?

Thanks!

Take care - Elden
http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand