[SEL] Oh gads - Big Lizzie

Dave Merchant kosh at ncweb.com
Wed Sep 3 15:11:48 PDT 2008

The loose shoe wheel design was used extensively on field artillery in WW-I.

It was just an early approach to tracklaying, that was superseded
by the caterpillar track (which was not invented by either Holt or Best).

In fact, for limited distances at low speeds, it may have been
easier to build than caterpillar tracks, which have the potential
for track pin wear that tripped up the initial crawlers.

Dave Merchant