[SEL] ENGINE DATES

Eric Schulz ilifa at internode.on.net
Wed Oct 29 14:54:30 PDT 2008

Kevin, I just wrote up a reply to your question about the Ruston
Hornsby, then deleted it when I found out I had been making an
incorrect assumption.
There is a report I have read about the completion of a batch of over
1200 engines for the army. Then I put 2 and 2 together and came up
with 5! I though, if for the army, this would have been in the
1940-1945 era when imports were a problem. The problem with this is
that Harris Scarfe & Sandovers only came into existence in 1947, as
far as I can tell.
What Peter said about starting at No.501 would fit with your engine
having a number higher than 1200 odd. Peter, do you have any dates?
Prior to the merger, Sandovers were building Chapman marine engines
under licence.

Eric