[SEL] Question for the Machinists - Advice Needed - OT

fero_ah at city-net.com fero_ah at city-net.com
Wed Oct 29 12:48:07 PDT 2008

Folks,

I need a little advice on dimensioning some parts I'm designing for one of my
measurement applications.

I'm using commercial titanium pipe for a number of pieces in the assembly to
keep the total weight down.  In this application, aluminum isn't an option.

When I assemble the whole rig, I'd like for the parts to be a smooth-running
slip fit without being too sloppy.  I need to dimension the following:

  - A hole bored in a block that needs to slip onto a length of
    3/4" Sch. 10S titanium pipe.  The nominal OD for 3/4" pipe is 1.050".
    Depending on whether it's welded or seamless pipe, there will be
    normal "commercial tolerances" for that OD (and for the ID).
    But I'll be damned if I can find that data on the net.

So given the (presently unknown) tolerances in the 1.050" OD, what diameter and
tolerances would you specify for a smooth-running slip fit?

Thanks.  Any help would be appreciated as the hole is presently dimensioned
1.080 +.015/-.000 and that "feels" too sloppy in my mind.

See ya,  Arnie

Arnie Fero
Pittsburgh, PA
fero_ah at city-net.com