[SEL] OT, stobie poles

Mark Kennedy flywheel at netconnect.com.au
Tue Oct 28 23:55:31 PDT 2008

And a work if engineering genius they are too!

Can't say they are beautiful but some, especially the main junction
ones (ie larger) have been turned into art works by having the
concrete centres painted by artists.

The  modern version (less the concrete in fill) just don't seem the
same. Case of love them or hate them (majority of opinion I think) but
have to admit that they seem to easily exceed the 30 year plus
expected working life and never seem to bend if a car hits them - no
matter how fast it was going! Ouch!!!!!!

:)

Regards,

Mark

On Oct 29, 2008, at 9:24 AM, Steven N Kitto wrote:

> Arnie
> They are unique to South Australia and used to carry electricity
> wires. They
> are made up of steel H iron with concrete between them and bolted
> together.
> They come in various sizes. There was never suitable tall timber in
> South
> Australia, hence their invention.
> Steve
>
> Steve and Denise Kitto
> 95 Coleyville Road
> Mutdapilly  QLD   Australia 4307
> Ph 07 54671541
>
> As water reflects a face, so a man's heart reflects the man.
> Proverbs 27:19

Mark Kennedy
Ballarat, Victoria, Australia

Registrar for the WING Gauge & Instrument Co.
http://www.oldengine.org/members/kennedy

'Training Down Under with the majesty of the South Australian Railways'

All aboard the Pichi Richi Railway! http://www.prr.org.au/

Important - This email and any attachments are confidential. If
any effected attachments. Any representations or opinions expressed
are those of the individual sender.