[SEL] Old Iron Rebuild

Dave Croft dave.croft at ntlworld.com
Thu Oct 2 08:34:18 PDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joseph L. Betz" <jlb94 at juno.com>
To: <sel at lists.stationary-engine.com>
Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2008 3:35 PM
Subject: Re: [SEL] Old Iron Rebuild
> Hi Rich,
> If you ever get a chance to make one of the Northwest PA Steam Engine &
> Old Equipment shows,
> they have a real nice machine shop setup all run with a line shaft.
> They have a show this weekend Oct. 4th & 5th.
> Portersville Exit off I-79   www.portersvillesteamshow.homestead.com
> As for bearings in the idle pulleys:  If any, they would be babbitt.
> Joe "Pip" Betz said that.
>
> Rick Larry all. I have never saw a line shaft set up [except photos]
> Where there is a pulley or mount did they have roller bearings on was
> it the pored babbitt bearings.
> thanks
> R Fink
> PA

When I was visiting all sorts of Engineering shops as a telephone engineer 45 years ago,
lineshafting for the machine power was quite often used.
The lubricators for the bearings were frequently of a different pattern to those used on engines.
see http://www.steamengine.com.au/misc/lubrication/pics/shaft-oilers.jpg
Thes are American but the British were of  identical design.
I think they gave a lower lubrication amount compared to the ventilated ones.
Dave Croft
Warrington
http://www.oldengine.org/members/croft/
http://community.webshots.com/user/crftdv