[SEL] Ebay sale items - interesting

Jim Hardman Jim at hardmanfamily.net
Fri Nov 28 14:56:45 PST 2008

The Sootless plug (auction 400012814487) is a home made affair;  Oaks & Dow
never offered priming plugs or caged plugs with separate primers.  These
brass and mica plugs were patented in 1905 and had a porcelain insulator
from the flange down to the points... a functional design.  Priming plugs
were popular in 1905-1915, but this is spurious, a recent assembly for the
eBay audience.

The Champion Primer (auction 220319864116) is relatively common, but surely
not common in the box.  This appears to be a used plug, note the change in
thread appearance and the nicked-up shell (body).  The box is probably as
valuable as the plug.  I guess it was common practice to put the used plug
back into the box when installing a new plug.

Gasoline was generally used for priming, but it was not a cure-all.  Early
gas stocks perhaps lacked adequate volatile upper end fractions;  it was
accepted that in really cold weather, priming might not help.  Friends in
Wooster, Ohio report that natural gas well pumpers would often build a fire
under the cylinder overhang to warm things up on a cold morning.

Peace from chilly Vermont...  Jim