[SEL] Totally off topic/now even more

gastzt at aol.com gastzt at aol.com
Mon Nov 24 17:16:32 PST 2008

They had big tough balls?  GOSH  ha
  Stan

In a message dated 11/24/2008 7:05:08 P.M. Central Standard Time,
jerrye at databak.co.za writes:

At 07:00  PM 24/11/2008, you wrote:
>Message: 14
>Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008  08:50:47 -0800
>From: "P. Johns"  <enginepaul at gmail.com>
>Subject: Re: [SEL] Totally off  topic
>Jerry:
>Congratulations. I don't know what a rugby is, but  apparently your boys do.
>Paul, in San Francisco

(This post has absolutely nothing to do with  engines and I, once
again apologise for starting it but it could be  construed as very bad
manners to not answer any replies to the original  post - so, anyone on the
list who would not like to read it is at liberty  to use their "delete" key).
Hi Paul,
Thanks for the reply. It's not "a" rugby - it's rugby. It's a
sport  started when a chappie at Rugby College (or school ?) in England
called  William Webb Ellis picked up a soccer ball (football) and ran with
it in  his arms to the goal line (It's illegal in "soccer" or "football" to
handle the ball with your hands - that's why "soccer" is called "football"
- it's all about control of the ball using your feet and body - you may  not
touch the ball with your hands). Anyway someone thought that it was a  good
idea to be allowed to pick up the ball and run with it and this sport  was
born. I was originally called "Rugby Football" but eventually the name  was
shortened  to"Rugby" and universally accepted
It bears a slight resemblance to what you guys in the USA  call
"American Football". There are many differences in the game but the  main
ones are.
1) Rugby is played by  "real men" not "prima donnas" (but my Aussie
friends may disagree when  they think of Percy Montgomery).
2)They  are usually big, dirty(as in "attitude" - not necessarily
"lack of soap"),  tough, ugly (again, ugly as in attitude - not necessarily
in looks) guys  and they do not wear all sorts of protective equipment
(scrum caps are  allowed in deference to their later "sex life" - how many
"chicks" do you  know who would be prepared to "suck" a "cauliflower
ear"?)  (For  those List Members who are "humorously challenged" - that was
a joke! -  remember the delete key).
2) The game is  played by big tough guys with big tough balls.
These are oval shaped and  made from well seasoned leather:-). They only use
one ball per game.  (??)
3) There are many more rules to the  game but, mostly, these are
ignored by the players.

South Africa are the current world rugby champions but  that is
only because our previous coach decided to ignore government  directives and
selected players "on merit" as opposed to "by colour". He  was "got rid of"
just after we won the World Cup last year (we cannot have  these
rascists  now can we). He was replaced by someone of a colour  "more
acceptable" to government. Luckily our team still seems to remember  his
coaching and we are still doing quite well but we do not know how long  this
will last. ( For those List Members who are "humorously challenged" -  this
is NOT a joke!).

The main  rugby playing nations of the world are: Argentina,
Australia, Great  Britain (including England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales),
France, South  Africa and New Zealand. There are others.

Our main opponents are Australia, England and New Zealand and a
healthy "rivalry" exists between us.

For my part, I support my own country first and then Aus. and New
Zealand when they play anyone from the Northern Hemisphere. (Almost like
the Scots who support "whoever is playing against England").

O.K. Guys, I started this "off topic" discussion so  it's best if I
end it as well so this will be my "last post" on the  subject.
I apologise if I've offended  anyone but the list has been fairly
quiet lately (I mean, Maytags as a  "boat anchor" !!!!! - what kind of
subject is that for  discussion????).
I only know of 2 list  members who would support that kind of
notion. but I'll not mention any  names .
By the way Dave and Arnie, did I  mention that I picked up another
Maytag recently ?  <grin>.

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
Near  Johannesburg in Sunny South Africa.
Etched Brass Engine Plates made to  order:
<www.oldengine.org/members/evans/plates/index.htm>

SEL  mailing  list
SEL at lists.stationary-engine.com