[SEL] Old vehicle questions. OT

Elden DuRand edurand at mchsi.com
Fri Nov 14 08:34:45 PST 2008

Curt:

What I do is to make sure the kingpins and tie rod ends are in good condition and the wheel bearings have no slack in them.  If there's slop there, toe-in adjustment will be almost meaningless.

I jack the car up as level as I can and mark (just use a pencil or nail or something to make a fairly fine line) a place on the approximate center of the tread of each tire to measure from.  I Turn the tires so the marks are at the front and measure the distance between the marks.

The, I turn both tires to as close to the exact rear as I can and measure between the same marks.  The difference is toe-in.  Naturally, the distance should be shorter at the front than at the back.  If you get this reversed, it will make for interesting driving fun.  :-)

Take care - Elden
http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand

illyOverlandRestoration/FrontAxleIbeamRebuild/Thumbnails.html>

The entire project is being documented here: LOTS of photos.
<http://www.oldengine.org/members/holland/images/WillyOverlandRestoration/Thumbnails.html>

Thanks,
Curt Holland
Gastonia, NC