[SEL] Finding ground off serial numbers

Peter Scales peter at loud-n-clear.net
Thu Nov 6 02:47:53 PST 2008

Hi Peter

Typically, the revealing of stamped numbers on steel is done by polishing
the area where the number used to be, then acid etching it.  An etchant can
be made up by mixing 10% concentrated nitric acid in 90% methanol (you can
use methylated spirits or ethanol, but there is a risk with ethanol, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nital).  We used to use this for revealing the
grain structure of welded steel test specimens - 10% Nital.

All the best

     Pete
--
Peter Scales