[SEL] Locomotive diesels

Bruce Younger sluggo54 at hotmail.com
Mon May 26 09:48:51 PDT 2008

>From Wiki:

In 1998, EMD introduced the four-stroke 265H-Engine. Instead of completely replacing the 710 series engine, the H-Engine continues to be concurrently produced with the 710.

2004 saw CSX take order of the first SD70ACe locomotives that are designed to be more reliable, fuel efficient, and maintainable than its predecessor AC locomotive the SD70MAC. This model also meets the stringent EPA Tier 2 emission requirements using the tried and true 2-stroke 710 diesel engine.

EMD has produced the following series of engines:

EMD 567 — no longer in production.
EMD 645 — no longer in production.
EMD 710 — currently in production.
EMD 265 — "H-Engine"; currently in production.
The 567, 645, and 710 engine series is 2 cycle; the number refers to the displacement per cylinder.  They have come in 8, 12, 16, and 20 cylinder versions that I know of.  The early 20's had a problem breaking cranks.

The 265 refers to the bore in MM.

More than nyone needs to know:  http://www.sdrm.org/roster/diesel/emd/history/

http://www.emdiesels.com/lms/en/locomotive/innovations/engine/Hengine/index.htm

So, I guess everyone is partially correct.Bruce Younger 05G HHC 313 RR Bn 3/67-4/68 Madison, SDsluggo54 at hotmail.com "There is no hunting like the hunting of a man and those that have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." E. Hemingway