[SEL] Junkers 2HK65 at an engine rally in Germany

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Sun May 25 12:57:05 PDT 2008

2008/5/25 Elden DuRand <edurand at mchsi.com>:
> Peter:
>
> I'm constantly surprised by the many different types of engine layouts there are.
>
> At shows and in talking to the average gearheads, I find that most of them don't know that locomotive Diesel engines are 2-cycle.  Most folks think two cycle engines are gasoline mix fuelled and only on weed eaters and a few lawn mowers.
>
> Then there are opposed piston engines.  People are boggled by the fact that there are so many of them out there.  The Junkers 2HK65 type of O.P. engine with only one crankshaft is a variation on the F-M O.P. engines with two crankshafts and the list goes on.
>
> Air cooled radial aircraft Diesels are another surprise.  When I tell some people about them, they think I'm bs'ing them until they see a photo of a Guiberson or Packard radial Diesel.
>
> And the list goes on.
>
> Take care - Elden

I believe that the Junkers patents may pre-date the F-M engines by
some years, and that licencing was carried out all over the world
prior to WW2 by Junkers. Junkers had twin-crank flat-12 diesels in
aircraft prior and during WW2.

If you take out automotive engines, most horse-power these days is
probably generated by two-stroke engines of one type or another,
especially if you take into consideration the very large marine
diesels.

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes