[SEL] Junkers 2HK65 at an engine rally in Germany

Elden DuRand edurand at mchsi.com
Sun May 25 07:45:54 PDT 2008

Peter:

I'm constantly surprised by the many different types of engine layouts there are.

At shows and in talking to the average gearheads, I find that most of them don't know that locomotive Diesel engines are 2-cycle.  Most folks think two cycle engines are gasoline mix fuelled and only on weed eaters and a few lawn mowers.

Then there are opposed piston engines.  People are boggled by the fact that there are so many of them out there.  The Junkers 2HK65 type of O.P. engine with only one crankshaft is a variation on the F-M O.P. engines with two crankshafts and the list goes on.

Air cooled radial aircraft Diesels are another surprise.  When I tell some people about them, they think I'm bs'ing them until they see a photo of a Guiberson or Packard radial Diesel.

And the list goes on.

Take care - Elden
http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand

GermanyRed.jpg
http://www.stationary-engine.co.uk/Junkers/JunkersGermany2Red.jpg
http://www.stationary-engine.co.uk/Junkers/JunkersGermany3Red.jpg

It is a later engine than our own, and has electric starter (not
fitted but the mounting is there) vertical dynamo, driven off the
drive for the governor and fuel pumps and a lot of fittings which we
can relate to when we do our own engine.

Peter