[SEL] O.T. IHC Truck question

Ed Herreid bigtime64 at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 26 15:42:53 PDT 2008

I have asked around a couple of the IH guys around here and so far this is what I have gotten back.  If I get more information I will pass it along.

Since the original inquiry seems to have originated in S. Africa I wonder if this may have been a local thing that wouldn't have been seen around here. Even though the Company was global for decades, things were still marketed locally unlike the one flavor mentality today.

There is a guy in MO that has a tremendous knowledge of IH trucks. When this guy goes to the big salvage yard in the sky there will be a big void in IH Truck history. Someone should sit down with him and write a book before it is too late. If it's been around, he's probably seen it or heard of it.

VANCE GARAGE 2832 Market Street, Hannibal, MO 63401
573-221-7767
Pappy Vance lots of parts, no Scouts

Ed Herreid
Trevor Wisconsin> Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 19:57:40 +0200> To: stationary-engine at oldengine.org; sel at lists.stationary-engine.com> From: jerrye at databak.co.za> Subject: [SEL] O.T. IHC Truck question> > Hi Guys,> Sorry about the "Off Topic" post (again) but I know from > experience that the members of these lists have a combined "knowledge pool" > greater than all other lists combined. Not only that but, they're also the > most helpful guys I know.> > I have a friend who has an IHC pickup/truck/ute/bakkie (depending > on your language). It's about 3/4 ton.> > He's been asking me for ages to do some signs for the doors but is > being quite specific - his brief is as follows:> > "When this truck was new it had a very old sign on the door which I took > photographs of but which I currently cannot find. It was a circular sign > and it said something like "International Harvester Field > Service". Obviously this truck was used by International Harvester to > provide on farm service. You might want to do a bit of research on this > and if you can come up with what appears to be the right signage (if you > send it to me I will recognise it) and then I will get you to make special > decals for it. In the meantime I will see if I can find these photographs > which cannot be far away."> > Can any of you super knowledgeable members help me out here with > pics or even a description of what this signage may possibly have looked like.> > I know it's a "long shot" but I'd appreciate any input. If anyone > can help, it's you guys.> > Thanks in advance.> > Keep the revs up (or down)> Jerry Evans> Near Johannesburg in Sunny South Africa.> Etched Brass Engine Plates made to order:> www.oldengine.org/members/evans/plates/index.htm> > > _______________________________________________> SEL mailing list> SEL at lists.stationary-engine.com> http://www.stationary-engine.com/mailman/listinfo/sel