[SEL] maybe a bit OT-steam shovel

Tim Christoff tchristoff at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 22 21:40:06 PDT 2008

Hey Lew, I see it there all the time when I travel to go to my inlaws.  It
has been there many years and I have taken the side street just to get a
closer look at it.  Never have stopped to inquire about it though.  It is
very small, about the size of a large pickup truck.  It is located halfway
between the Jackson and Benton curves (famous curves for rollovers since
they are so tight) on I-70 just on the eastside of downtown KCMO.  I would
love to have it here at the house.

Tim Christoff
Basehor Kansas

Just got back from a quick trip to Kansas City; saw something I think
was really neat.

There was a small “steam shovel” (though it may not be steam powered;
boom & bucket design are similar to HYPERLINK
"http://tinyurl.com/2ay3yu"http://tinyurl.com/2ay3yu pictureHYPERLINK
"http://www.olivertractors.ca/1925%20Steam%20Shovel.JPG") that sits just
off the ramp when you leave north bound I-35 to get onto east bound I
70.  I could be wrong on the location; I did go both ways thru that
interchange; about 90% sure I’m right but possibly could be on the ramp
leaving 70 to get back onto southbound 35.  I believe it’s probably only
about half the size of the one in the link though.  It’s in a
construction company yard (obviously as a display) & you’d have to get
onto one of the regular streets & preferably into their yard to take pix
I’d think.

Is anyone close to this that might be able to get info & pix for me?  It
just looks SO NEAT!  No idea if I’ll ever get back that way with fuel
prices where they are.

Thanks.

Lew Best near Waco, TX

Checked by AVG.