[SEL] Austral Web Pages

Kerry ozengine at optusnet.com.au
Tue Mar 18 04:49:28 PDT 2008

Thanks for all the kind word on the Austral, I thought it was going to be an
easy project but it turned out a lot more than I thought, but it was all
good fun and when Brock got her to run nearly straight away (although rough)
was a great feeling.
Note the original colour of this Austral was Black with yellowgreen lining.

The finish
1) metal parts were cleaned of dirt then wire brushed using a hand grinder
with brush attachment to remove the rust but instead of my usual method of
getting the metal to a bright finished I took the rust off and left the
metal slightly dark. see finish
http://www.oldengine.org/members/kmorris/Webpages/temporary12.html
2) When engine was all assembled I coated it in a heavy coat of BLACK diesel
sump oil then wiped off excess.
3) Problem was engine was taken to its first rally and started 2 days later
and Brock was kind enough to remove more excess oil on his shirt while
starting it 8-))
4) Engine oil dried over the next two months (Ruth's domestic work) then I
coated it with two coats of Penetrol (paint additive) but boiled linseed /
turps would be just as good
5) All brass parts were wired brushed but again not to bright finish
6) New (shiny) and old brass parts were coated in sump oil and heated with
porta gas torch (Propane ?) until they were hot and sump oil burnt off this
gave nearly the effect I wanted and the when the engine was coated with
Penetrol those parts I added a little sump oil  and the finish was good.
7) Penetrol dried and has kept the finish - it is Black as it should be, has
a shine and does look ok.

Kerry