[SEL] Engine problems

JIM KIRKES jd.kirkes at verizon.net
Sun Mar 16 18:02:59 PDT 2008

About 4 or 5 years ago I took a Alamo flywheel engine to a
show.  This engine has always been easy to start and a good
runner.  It refused to run and I did some  show fixing but
finally gave it up and brought it home and let it sit until
now.  I decided to take it to an upcoming show and did not
want to repeat the previous fiasco so I wheeled it into the
shop and began to fiddle with it.  I got it started and
convinced myself it was not getting a good fuel supply.  I
took the fuel pump apart and made sure the check valves
worked and put it back together with almost no change except
maybe worse.  Well the next thing was to take the mixer
apart, when in doubt take something apart, at the very least
find something to twist.  This is an overflow mixer and
there really is not much in it to go  wrong,  made sure
everything was clear and put it back on the engine. I also
took the mag/igniter out and checked the spark and it  made
a nice fat blue spark. I got the engine started after some
backfires and flooding which kind of surprised me as it
never did this before. The engine was running but rather
poorly and sometimes hitting the mag trip 4 or 5 times
before firing.  I was a little perplexed, after all there is
a pretty definite limit to what can be fixed on an engine
like this. After watching this bad runner for a while it
looked like the mag was not getting a very good trip.  I
held the trip down with my finger so as to get more rotation
on the mag armature and the everything smoothed right out.
I took the trip off and reworked it so as to have a longer
engagement and get a faster and longer rotation of the
armature.  Problem solved, runs fine.

A mag works by turning the armature through the magnetic
field.  The hottest spark will be produced by turning
through the most lines of force as fast as possible.  The
mag trip on this engine was one of those thing that wear
very slowly until it finally does not work very well.  As
this happens over a long time it can be hard to spot. The
mag worked fine outside the engine with the hand trip.The
hand trip never gets used so it works pretty much like it
did when it was new which got me convinced that there was
nothing wrong with it. Amazing how you can look at something
you understand and see nothing until it finally beats you
over the head.  The upside of all this is that it runs like
it used to and I know the fuel system is clean.

Jim

Jim and Diane Kirkes
Hemet, California U.S.A.
replace nomore with net to send mail