[SEL] Air compressor motors

Tony & Jackie kimmell at verizon.net
Sun Mar 9 11:19:34 PDT 2008

Hi all,
I know this is off topic, but it relates to one of the tools used in
restoring old engines, so that's close.

I attended a nearby community sale yesterday and ended up dragging
home a huge behemoth of an air compressor.  It's a Curtis 2-stage, 80
gallon upright.  It wasn't until I got it home and unloaded it that I
realized the motor on it is 3 PHASE.  I can't run 3 phase in my
garage, so if anyone has a single phase motor that would work for
this application, I would be interested in buying or trading for this
3 phase unit.  The motor is rated at 5 HP.  I don't know much about
the particulars of electric motors, but I'm guessing I'd probably
need a single phase motor with more HP than the 3 phase motor I'd be
swapping out...  Can anyone confirm that?  Here is some of the
information on the motor tag:

Frame- 184T
Horsepower- 5
Volts- 208-230/460
Amps- 14.8-14/7
RPM- 1725
NEMA nom eff. 81.5%
Rating- 400 AMB-Cont.
PF- 80%

I'd also be interested in trading the whole compressor unit for a
complete single phase unit if anyone is looking to upgrade.  I do not
need a compressor this large, but I got a pretty good deal on it, so
I bought it anyway.  I won't need anything more than a 60 gallon
single stage for my uses.  I can provide pics of the motor or the
whole compressor if anyone is interested.

Thanks,

--
Tony Kimmell
Bloomington, IL