[SEL] Portland 2007 Video Clips

Rob Skinner rskinner at rustyiron.com
Sun Mar 9 10:35:49 PDT 2008

On Mar 9, 2008, at 9:05 AM, Listerdiesel wrote:

> Hold fire for a while, I am just processing all the files into .wmv
> format. It takes a while, plus I have to upload them to the two sites,
> but give it an hour and they should all be available on BOTH file
> formats.

Hey Peter,
I put videos onto the web page using Flash.  It's as universally
acceptable as you can get.  By hosting it yourself, you don't have to
worry about the quality limitations imposed by YouTube.

So why not provide AVI, WMV, and Flash?  Oh, and what about MOV files
for those of us who represent 7.5% of web traffic?  Oh, wait, we can
watch ALL those formats already.

Let me close with the following parable that might help you in
designing your web page:

An old man and a young boy were traveling through their village with
their donkey. The boy rode on the donkey and the old man walked.

As they went along they passed some people who remarked it was a shame
the old man was walking and the boy was riding.

The man and boy thought maybe the critics were right, so they changed
positions.

Later, they passed some people that remarked, "What a shame, he makes
that little boy walk." They then decided they both would walk.

Soon they passed some more people who thought they were stupid to walk
when they had a decent donkey to ride. So, they both rode the donkey.

Now they passed some people that shamed them by saying, "How awful to
put such a load on a poor donkey."

The boy and man said they were probably right, so they decided to
carry the donkey.

As they crossed the bridge, they lost their grip on the animal and he
fell into the river and drowned.

Party on, Garth!