[SEL] Ignitor question

Germoamer at aol.com Germoamer at aol.com
Mon Jun 30 13:55:48 PDT 2008

In a message dated 6/29/2008 10:54:52 PM Eastern Standard Time,
randmingold at hotkey.net.au writes:

If you  use the primary windings of a car coil, 12v battery, Bat- to earth, +
to  the coil, to igniter,igniter, and the engine fires up ok, then you have a

weak LT mag/generator

Reg,

I use this trick many times, but I have a question concerning this hook  up.
Some ignitor points are normally open, and some are normally  closed.  The
ones that are normally closed will burn the points when hooked  to the
battery/coil because the circuit is closed until it trips.  The ones  that are normally
open do not burn because the circuit is only closed for an  instant when it
trips.  So, my question is what determines the normally  open points versus the
normally closed points?

Tom  Schmutz
Concord,  Va.
germaoamer at AOL.com