[SEL] Ignitor question

MBellar at aol.com MBellar at aol.com
Mon Jun 30 08:24:55 PDT 2008

Mike;

I had a similar problem with my Famous. I found that the igniter casting  was
fairly well insulated from the head by the igniter gasket and paint on the
stud bolts. Measuring the resistance between the igniter casting and the
cylinder head I found it to be 100+ ohms. After I removed the paint from  the studs
and the bolt holes in the igniter casting I found the resistance  to be ~ 1
ohm and the igniter functioned well.One can monitor the point  operating by
placing a current meter in series with the battery or operate the  coil with a
battery charger with a meter. It takes about 10,000 volts for a  spark to jump 1
inch in air at standard temp. and pressure and higher voltages  are required
at higher pressures and different atmospheres. That is why  marginal spark
plugs may not work when installed in an engine. The magnetic  field generated by
the coil collapses the instant the igniter opens generating  the back EMF that
generates the spark between the igniter points and  ground. It is possible
that the length and intensity of the spark could be  effected by the increased
cylinder pressure, but it is not likely that no spark  will occur. ( exceptions
include Ohio, KY and everywhere else igniter  problems occur.)

Tom Bellar SW Ohio