[SEL] Ignitor question

Michael Tucker oldironnut at alltel.net
Sun Jun 29 17:08:02 PDT 2008

Howdy all,

I have a couple of igniter questions. I know that with spark plugs, a
spark plug may have a reasonable spark outside of the cylinder but fail
to spark inside the cylinder under compression. Is that the case with an
igniter? I'm getting irregular spark out of the igniter on my 1907 4 hp
IHC Famous. Although there are times when it doesn't spark at all and
I'm not really sure which wiggle or other assorted voodoo seems to get
it to spark, whne it sparks it seems to spark well when it's grounded
outside of the cylinder. However, when it's installed on the engine I
don't seem to be getting spark (plenty of gas, plenty of compression and
timed correctly). So, back to my question, are igniters like spark plugs
in that they may not fire correctly under compression?

That's the situation and question for educational purposes but I guess
that the bigger and more important question is who have y'all used that
rebuilds igniters who will be able to do it BEFORE Portland?

Thanks for the help,
Mike