[SEL] A topic for discussion.......How to promote a show.

Russell Gilbert russell at ncable.com.au
Wed Jun 18 15:46:34 PDT 2008

Hi Curt
Our club run in conjunction with the steam guys "The Junction Rally"
(the place we took you to by the river) which is only held every 3
years. Every show has been succesfull over the past 15 years or there
abouts. Maybe this is because we are not asking enthuriest to rock up
every year.?? Our last show which was last year had numbers down
about 10% to 15% but the general consensis was that this was because
of the timming beiong so cl;ose to the National held in Queensland.

I think it's important to realy make everyone feel welcome and
appreciated for making the effort to come. Location location
location! Get a nice area to hold your rally. We dont charge
exhibitors fees, we do give a nice cast rally badge and entrants bag.
We used to have free camping on site but due to the rally growing
over the past years and limited space we have had to make the camping
area at Wentworth show ground. (4 minute drive) (still free) We
provide 24/7 security for all displays over the weekend, The local
fire brigade come in and fill engines with water etc. They do this
nice and early in the morning so entrants are not waiting to be
looked after. Good support from local business with the donating of a
huge crane etc for loading and unloading and the local council
providing a ramp for the fatg. Flee markets, food stalls run by other
groups like the lyons club and rotary, scouts etc.

What I've heard recently about some rally's where folks are
disapointed are: charging exhibitors! charging exhibitors, charging
exhibitors! If you want to go down this track you will kill your
rally over night!  If you need a few buck to chip into covering costs
then run a raffle. Most guys would by $5 of raffle tickets but tell
you to jam your entrants fee  you know where!

Another interesting thing was the effort given by the host clubs
members in displaying their own engines. We often learn over the
years what some guys have in their collections yet we never se them
on display. Many who travel to rallies make a real effort to bring
their latest prized restoration which is in itself a draw card to
your rallies, yet some locals drag out the closest engine to the door
of the shed with no real effort put in to making an intesresting
display. I live 30km from where our rally is held. I make 3 trips
each way to set up and return home as I want to take 3 engines. Other
local members do similar things. One of our guys who lives a little
further away brought 3 big engines and 3 tracotrs. Our club owns a
few portable engines which we also bring down to the rally site and
display. At a recent Rally that I attanded we were invited to a host
club shed that housed club engines plus some members engines. It was
great to be invited but when seeing the nice stuff that was there one
felt a little let down that some of this gear was not on display at
the rally feild. This to me is so important because the more engines
you can have on display the better the atmospher your create for the
visisting exhibitors.

Just my opinion on some of the important things to consider.
Russell