[SEL] A topic for discussion.......How to promote a show.

R & M Ingold randmingold at hotkey.net.au
Tue Jun 17 16:28:23 PDT 2008

>From my point of observation.

As an exhibitor, I now weigh up the enjoyment factor against the cost
overall  to go and show. The effort required against the quality of the
event also plays a part.
I used to attend a lot more events than I do these days. I, like a lot of
exhibitors, are getting older. There are not as  many younger new people
coming into the hobby to replace those leaving.
As a spectator,
Many of our 'tourist attractions' Have folded due to people having gone once
or twice and then thought, "Why do it yet again?"
Now, with the cost of going to events rising drastically, along with the
general cost of living going crazy, attendances WILL drop.

Clubs started out with 'get togethers' of like minded people that in some
cases evolved into large show events. Turning a profit was not a factor.
This situation is returning.  I, for one see no way so change this.
It will just have to be accepted and lived with.

A gloomy viewpoint? Yes, but, I feel, an accurate one.

I have paid a lot of money on air fares for this year's travel to the USA.
The 'enjoyment factor' is such that I think it 'good value' to see all the
good folk I know over there. To me, the actual engines on show are but a
small part compared to the love I have for these lifetime friends this hobby
has given me.
Baraboo, Portland and the Gibsonburg shows, for me, are really meeting
places to refresh these friendships.

Perhaps the above will give some thoughts to those organisers of events when
they try and analyse the reasons to hold engine shows.
Reg & Marg Ingold.
Newcastle, NSW, Australia.
randmingold at hotkey.net.au
http://www.oldengine.org/members/randmingold