[SEL] O.T. Quality over the years

Frank DeWitt Frank at lbpinc.com
Sat Jun 14 09:45:21 PDT 2008

It is clear that you can make more money selling something cheep and
selling a lot of them, then selling a few for a lot.  There are just
a lot more people with a little money then with a lot of money.  what
is not cleat to me is why manufacturers, or consumers, at one tome
thought extra pin striping, fancy castings, ETC were necessary.

I have a few Pelton compressors and I have seen many others.  These
would have been used in the basement or back room of a dentist
office, and were inside a sheet metal enclosure. The early ones have
ornate flywheels, gold pin striping, fancy castings knurled nuts for
electrical connection,  All this is gone on the later ones.

It seems that either people used to associated these things with
quality, and later didn't,
or when they first came out they were expensive and therefor people
expected the extras, as price went down, less was expected.

Frank