[SEL] Engine Parts - The Gig on the Dig

Judge Tommy Turner lcjudge at scrtc.com
Thu Jun 12 20:42:49 PDT 2008

Anybody game to hunt for some engine parts?  Here's the "gig on the dig".

I acquired a 4 HP Springfield Type B that is missing parts.  Here's some
background and how this story is believed to have come about.  A man
named Hannebaum, from Missouri, worked in the Ohio works of the
Springfield Gas Engine shop in the 1890's.  He was quite the engineer
and its very possible the Type B Springfield was his design.  He moved
back to Missouri, near Springfield, and either brought the patterns with
him or possibly engine castings.  A few of the Type B Springfield style
engines were built, tagged with the Hannebaum name.  One was a 4 (or
believed to be a 4) HP that was installed in a grain elevator in
Billings, MO.

It ran until 1945 when it was removed from service.  It was purchased
and taken to a farm a few miles from town when the engine was dismantled
and a wedge bolted on the piston to make a woodsplitter.  After being
used a few years the engine was set in the fence row where it remained
until a few years ago.  One of the family members, now in his 90's.
stated that he knew all the parts for the engine were still there on the
farm and knows close proximity to where they are located.  I have
visited the site and believe him as its sort of like walking back in time.

Where he believes the parts are located has a large amount of scrap
iron, junk, growth, etc and will require some work to pick through, dig,
etc.

The parts possible there include the intake and exhaust valve cage, the
cross slide mechanism, the ignitor, governor, gas valve and other small
parts.  This will be a bit like digging for gold.

Now the question is, are there any folks out there game to make a
digging excursion with me?  I have a friend who can bring in a skid
steer and he'll spray to kill all the vegetation a couple weeks before
the dig could begin.  I think the project, with 5 or 6 folks working,
could be completed in a day and a half.  I've got shovels, picks, etc
but I would need to access a metal detector to do the job right.

I'd provide the meals, hotel room, and all the fire water needed.  We
could gather at my place and then I'd transport everyone down to the
site, which is about an 8 hour drive.

Just something to think about.  I'll probably try to do this excursion
in mid July.

Tommy Turner