[SEL] Engine ID needed.

curt at rustyiron.com curt at rustyiron.com
Tue Jun 3 06:49:20 PDT 2008

Tommy, Elden,
Odd duck is right! I initially thought this was a 2 cycle engine because
of what looked like ported exhaust, and the fact that every time the
piston heads toward TDC it is on compression. Makes sense eh? But I found
the engine in the BYB and it claims it is a 4 cycle engine with a "special
mechanism that allowed skipping of the exhaust valve push rod.

I'm trying to get the patents to load on my computer, but am having
problems with viewing them. I'm getting only partial views at the moment,
so I've got a computer issue to muddle thru before learning more.
Patent number is 740,571 if you'd like to have a look. If someone happens
to get the tif's to download in completion, I'd appreciate an offlist
email with the tif's attached, so I can read them. I think there are 8
pages.

Currently the engine is belted to a large 3 phase motor and that's how it
is rotated and made to fire on occasion. Turn the power off and the poor
engine barely chuffs and can't produce enough power to even sustain
itself, so there is much to do to get it running well and making decent
power.

As to the governor linkage, it leads me to believe it is a throttle
governed engine. That's fairly unusual too considering the year of
manufacture was 1902/3.
Curt