[SEL] SEL Digest, Vol 52, Issue 27

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Mon Jul 28 10:04:27 PDT 2008

At 06:00 PM 27/07/2008, you wrote:
>Message: 1
>Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 21:00:31 +0100
>From: Listerdiesel <listerdiesel at gmail.com>
>Subject: Re: [SEL] OT: Torpedo Test
>
>On 26/07/2008, Elden DuRand <edurand at mchsi.com> wrote:
> > Whut's a POM?
>
>Derogatory name for the natives of the British Isles, mainly used by
>'Exported Poms' in Australia to described their relatives back home
>:-))
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_words_for_British
>Peter A Forbes

Hi Peter and all "Natives of the British Isles" also "the USA" and "Australia".

         Interesting that it should be listed as "derogatory" - that must
be quite an antiquated description. We've always called "Natives of the
British Isles" by that name (Poms or Pommies) - and have never regarded it
as derogatory (We've got a lot of other names for you guys if we want to be
derogatory <smile>).

         I've often addressed a question to the lists as "one for the
Pommies" or sometimes as "one for the Brits", I've never considered this to
be derogatory and, in hindsight, hope that none of you guys has. As far as
I'm concerned it is just "slang" (or a term of endearment if you like). The
same way as I would say "One for the Aussies" or refer to Americans as
"Yanks" (although I know that this name dates to the American civil war and
maybe not all Americans like being called "Yanks" but that's another
story). I never use any of the above "nicknames" in a derogatory manner. As
mentioned, we have other descriptions (as I'm sure you all have for us), if
we want to be derogatory.

         Of interest is that the "Wikipedia" page that you referred us to
also lists "Rooinek" as one of the terms used to describe Brits. This is
true - it comes from our other (white mans) official language and directly
translated means "Red Neck" (this has nothing to do with the American
"redneck"). As mentioned in "Wikepadia" this relates to sunburn and how the
Englishman would get a sunburnt neck under the African sun.

         Our family is of British origin (going back to pre 1820) and my
Fathers nickname amongst the local black (Xhosa) populace was "Tam Bomvu" -
("Tam" = neck and "Bomvu" = Red.) We considered this to be an honour as my
father farmed in an area which had mainly Afrikaans (South Africans of
Dutch descent) farmers and was well regarded as being an honest man (or
"man of his word") which could not have been said for many of his neighbours.

         Anyway, enough history. If I ever again address a message to the
lists as "one for the Poms" or "one for the Yanks" then please do not be
offended - no ill is intended, just as if I said "one for the Aussies".

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
<www.oldengine.org/members/evans/plates/index.htm>