[SEL] OT: (was) Torpedo Test

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 13:07:31 PDT 2008

On 26/07/2008, Jack Watson <nadejack at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> True, Peter. My ancestors came from Ireland, Scotland, Isle of Man, and
> one from England. That one did not have to pay his own fare - it was
> provided for him by Queen Victoria who seemed to think both he and
> England would benefit from a sea voyage for him. Not sure if they fed
> him lime juice or not.
>
> JW² (who has peculiar marks on his ankles . . .)

We had obtained emigration visas at the end of 1980 and were due to
leave for Oz in the following spring. I then had a job come up on the
Ghandi film shoot in India, followed by a trip to Oz over the 1980/81
Xmas, when I stayed with Rita's brother and his family.

We didn't go in the end, what I saw and experienced made me change my
mind about the whole thing and we stayed in the UK.

Nothing in particular, loved the climate and the people, but it just
wasn't what I expected, or more importantly what the glossy brochures
told you to expect.

Never regretted it, and we've been there again as you know :-))

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes
Email: listerdiesel at gmail.com