[SEL] Power Station Switchboard Saved

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 13:48:13 PDT 2008

One of the jobs where we have supplied new chargers and distribution
panels to, was at a hydro-electric power station in Scotland, one of
the Galloway Hydro-Electric Scheme stations built in the 1930's.

The old distribution panel and switchboard was made of 1-1/4" slate
boards, with four pieces in total, the overall size being
approximately 8ft square and weighing close on a ton.

We asked if it could be saved from the scrapman, and with the
agreement of the owners and the electrical contractors, we dismantled
the whole panel this morning and then took it down to the Anson Museum
where Geoff Challinor was delighted to receive the kit of parts.

We managed to get all the nuts and bolts and the substantial steel
framing as well, so Geoff will not have to make up any mountings for
it.

It was a 04.30 start from home this morning, and I just got back at
9pm having driven just over 700 miles, so I haven't looked at the
pictures I took, but will do tomorrow and I'll put them on the
website.

One picture is available:

http://www.stationary-engine.co.uk/Misc/Kendoon1.jpg

Peter