[SEL] Old plumbing

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 23:26:03 PDT 2008

On 12/07/2008, Judge Tommy Turner <Lcjudge at scrtc.com> wrote:
> Jimmy,
>     The standard for American fittings calls for them to have a "band"
> (flat, sharp edges, etc).  The old time fittings were either rounded edge
> (beaded) or had nothing at all (called plain).  Many of the British Standard
> Pipe fittings (which are metric) have the band and some of the fittings made
> in China and India are plain with no hub or band.  You can use BSP fittings
> but you have to run a NPT tap in them.  They correspond real well up to 1
> 1/2 inch pipe.  I've used many of the BSP banded fittings and have never had
> a problem with them after I run a tap in.  You can find the banded fittings
> in England and Australia.
>
> Tommy Turner

Tommy:

Where did you get the notion that BSP threads were metric??

They were always Imperial sizes, see the tables for 'most' older UK threads at:

http://www.stationary-engine.co.uk/Tables/Mech1.htm

The ones that are loosely based on Metric are British Association (BA)
threads, perhaps you were confusing that with BSP?

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes
Email: listerdiesel at gmail.com