[SEL] 8N Fords

Michael Tucker oldironnut at alltel.net
Tue Jul 8 11:44:04 PDT 2008

On Jul 8, 2008, at 2:02 PM, Chuck Balyeat wrote:
> Do those things have enough tractive weight to pull a 2 wheeled
> round bale
> buggy around without getting stuck when it rains a little ? ( 750
> and 1000
> pounders )
> ANybody doing it right now ?

Chuck,

I grew up with one of those damned things around our little ranch.
The place was pretty deep in sand so it was tougher to pull stuff when
it was dry than when it was wet.  You've hit upon one of the problems
with those tractors (the other being it's a Ford) in that they are
pretty light in the rear end.  Yes, it will probably do a good job for
pulling around rolls of hay but I would suggest filling the rear tires
with water to help weight the rear end down for better pulling
traction.  They're a good size for doing light work, do a pretty good
job working a small (as in 5') brush hog mower and they will do an OK
job working a blade if you are working with dirt that isn't too
compacted (the lack of weight in the rear end problem again).  One of
the really annoying things on these tractors is that in the original
configuration the exhaust goes to the rear of the tractor so you're in
jeopardy of choking on fumes when you're hooking up equipment (mom and
dad were more in favor of killing a few of my brain cells rather than
spending the money to port the exhaust up).

See ya',
Mike
Michael Tucker
oldironnut at alltel.net