[SEL] Ransomes MG2 Help needed please.

brent brent.tamatea at clear.net.nz
Fri Jan 25 18:15:48 PST 2008

Chuck thanks for your comment for those wondering what is reverse polarity
made me think myself  when you mentioned it  so when derusting something you
have a positive and negative terminal or otherwise known as an anode or a
cathode the negative is the terminal that removes the rust so that is the
terminal you hook up to what you are derusting and the cathode is the
terminal that receives the rust and sacrifices good metal to replace the
rusted metal..so reverse polarity is where the alloy is sacrificed for the
rusted metal. terminals are back to front .main thing to know is the
negative terminal is the terminal to put the article that you wish to be
derusted not the other way around .Although in saying that you can
effectively use reverse polarity to creat patina on old metal   if you wish
to make the metal look older semi rusty etc believe it or not people do this
mainly nuts and bolts if replacing as a new bolt doesnt look authentic on an
old engine hope you dont mind me expanding on the subject for those that may
be interested.
As i am interested in old machinery am very keen to learn of methods of
derusting i think i have used most of them now but electrolysis is one of
the best
options as it cleans removes paint and rust quickly all at the same time if
you wish to keep the paint use a  mollasas bath as it has no effect on paint
important if you wish to keep things original just takes longer and better
than sandblasting if the metal is thin.. brentnz