[SEL] Ransomes MG2 Help needed please.

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Fri Jan 25 10:19:47 PST 2008

Hi All,
         Does anyone have a manual for a Ransomes MG2 Motor Garden
Cultivator. (Please don't refer me to my own download page <grin> the
manual there is for the MG5)

         This is the small tracked garden tractor made by Ransomes from
around 1936. It was powered by a Sturmey Archer 6H.P. air cooled engine. In
1938 they changed the engine to an improved Sturmey Archer engine (most
noticeable difference was the Wipac Impulse magneto). It is this model I'm
looking for a manual or help for.

         My mate, Justin (no internet) has been given one that is pretty
rusted and has not run for 30+ years! He is busy stripping it but needs
help on the centrifugal clutch between the engine and gearbox. This is so
badly corroded that he would like to find a drawing or photo of the
internals before he tries to get it apart - just so that he can see what it
looks like before using force :-).

         The tractor is a really nice example of these and the MG2 is
fairly uncommon. The serial number of his is MG 404 which is a pretty
early  model considering that the eventual production of these was about
30,000 machines. This was probably made just before the 2nd World War and
was probably one of a batch shipped out here - I do not think that any
would have been shipped here again until after the war.

         Justin gives me a lot of help with all my restorations so I'd be
very happy if I could find this information for him. Thanks in advance Guys.

         If anyone here belongs to any of the tractor lists or forums (I
don't) would you mind copying this over to them.

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
www.oldengine.org/members/evans/plates/index.htm